Recently we did a WordPress Multisite Database Migration on Trellis. All is pretty straightforward files wise though we did have to do some extra media work using a volume. The database on the other hand was a bit more problematic.
WP CLI Database Import & URL Replacement
Using wp-cli and aliases for the import and replacement:
# sync-db-prod-to-staging.sh # chmod +x sync-db-prod-to-staging.sh read -r -p "Do you solemnly swear that you have had fewer than 2 alcoholic beverages in the last hour and that you would really like to reset your staging database and pull the latest from production? [y/N] " response if [[ $response =~ ^([yY][eE][sS]|[yY])$ ]]; then wp @staging db reset --yes && wp @production db export -> sql-dump-production.sql && wp @staging db import sql-dump-production.sql && wp @staging search-replace --network --url=domain.com http://domain.com https://staging.domain.com --skip-columns=guid fi
things didn’t work out. The database was not imported properly. It was a large database so we decided to just import it.
WP CLI Search & Replace
For the replacing of the urls we tried to use WP CLI however. This as this did work locally on a new Vagrant setup. So we did the following command:
wp search-replace --network --url=domain.com http://domain.com https://staging.domain.com --skip-columns=guid
we got the following error:
2018/04/22 08:04:11 [error] 13636#13636: *92588 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: WordPress database error Table 'staging_domain_com_staging.wp_blogs' doesn't exist for query SELECT blog_id FROM wphsm_blogs WHERE domain IN ( 'staging.domain.com' ) AND path IN ( '/de/', '/' ) ORDER BY CHAR_LENGTH(path) DESC LIMIT 1 made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('/srv/www/staging.domain.com/releases/20180418081603/web/wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), require('wp-includes/ms-settings.php'), ms_load_current_site_and_network, get_site_by_path, get_sites, WP_Site_Query->query, WP_Site_Query->get_sites, WP_Site_Query->get_site_ids" while reading response header from upstream, client: xx.xxx.xx.xx, server: staging.domain.com, request: "GET /de/europe/country/province/region/flaine/feed HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php-fpm-wordpress.sock:", host: "staging.domain.com"
Oddly enough the table was there. In another Github issue https://github.com/Chassis/Chassis/issues/324 I read we should use wp core multisite-convert .Or at least that helped him, but we were just cloning the multisite database from production to staging here so why should I use that?
Manual Multisite unique table changes
We did some more research and bumped into a great article by Eric Holmes. So we did some manual database changes in:
- wp_blogs – this holds record of all your WPMU blogs. Alter the domain field(s).
- wp_options – here do the normal alterations from home_url and site_url, as if you were transferring a regular WordPress website. If you have multiple blogs, you will need to go into wp_2_options, wp-3_options, etc.
- wp_site – This defines the multisite domain and path. Change the domain here.
- wp_sitemeta – Search for the meta key siteurl – change the domain.
- wp_usermeta – Search for the meta key source_domain – change the domain.
* Items listed as recommended by Eric and also partly recommended in the Codex .
Now the staging site seemed to be loading again with latest database from the production site. Only the image paths needed updating so we did a wp search replace using:
wp search-replace http://domain.com https://staging.domain.com --skip-columns=guid
This fixed all further mixed content issues and allowed the site to be loaded properly. WordPress Multisite Database Migration complete!
No comment yet, add your voice below!